Week 1 - Artist - Elora Jean and Emma Chamberlain

 

  1. Compare and contrast – discuss how each artist works. What is their content? What are their goals? How do you perceive them? What do their YouTube channels have in common? How are they different? How do you experience them? Do they seem authentic? Do you feel like you know them? Do their videos seem performative? If you were going to start a YouTube channel, would either of them be a model for you? How would your channel be similar or different from theirs? What would your focus be? What would your goals be? 

Emma Chamberlain - My first opinion about her is that she is all over the place (this opinion was made a few years back when I first stumbled upon her). But she was very relatable when I stumbled upon her, she made people aware that not everyone has their life figured out, but that does mean they're a failure. 

Elora Jean - My first opinion about her was, who is she? I had never heard of her before, but realistically I probably wouldn't have, since I no longer watch youtube. But after going to her page, I first thought was, she was another beauty guru, but she is more than just that. 

Emma has been on youtube longer, but her content is very similar to when she started back in 2017 since she vlogs more than just one thing, she categorizes them. Whereas Elora has just joined more recently and her content she more about her, makeup, and the air force. As for their goals, Emma seems like she goes with the flow of life and is more spontaneous, but I feel like she has a plan for life, but doesn't share it with youtube which is fine. As for Elora, she seems older since she has been in the air force for four years, she has a path that she has set besides youtube and she has made it public for her subscribers. Emma is the type that doesn't care about what others have to say about her because she knows that people will never be nice regardless of how you behave. As for Elora, I am envious that she is able to do makeup and along with how she has her life figured out more or less. Both of the YouTubers are helpful in their own way, Emma is more helpful for teens that deal with everyday stress, bullies, and other things. Elora is more helpful when it comes to career advice for the Air Force and makeup. They both seem authentic but in their own way. Based on youtube videos alone, no I do not feel like I know them, many people can appear one way for a while and end up shocking everyone, like the James Charles situation. Elora's videos are more performative in the sense that she decides what she's going to talk about whereas Emma is a "pick up the camera and go with the flow" type of vlogger. If I were ever to start a Youtube channel it would be more like Emma's because I usually don't have plans, but end up doing something whether it's stupid or not in a day. My channel would be like day vlogs occasionally or some tip for college students, with kids around my age as the focus. My goal would be just to help those in situations that many of us kids feel especially those in brown households because some of our parents are very toxic and they don't notice their words hurt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 - Artist OTW